Quantcast

Sokoban Solutions

Olivier Drolet Olivier Drolet

Sokoban Solutions

I'm looking for sokoban solutions to the initial set of 90 puzzles that contain, for each puzzle, the complete move listing. (Saved games would be ideal.) I'd like to validate my solutions against better scores in terms of total number of "moves." I've heard of scores of 230 moves for puzzle no.1 (of the initial set of 90), but could not find a game or move listing. (I can't seem to do better than 238 moves myself, and I don't have a software solver and a massively-parallel super-computer handy!  :)

sunshine sunshine

Re: Sokoban Solutions

Olivier Drolet wrote
I'm looking for sokoban solutions to the initial set of 90 puzzles that contain, for each puzzle, the complete move listing. (Saved games would be ideal.) I'd like to validate my solutions against better scores in terms of total number of "moves." I've heard of scores of 230 moves for puzzle no.1 (of the initial set of 90), but could not find a game or move listing.
A good database of solutions contributed by various people can be found here: http://ysokoban.atspace.com/

See http://ysokoban.atspace.com/xsokoban.html for solutions to the original 90 puzzles from XSokoban. Click on the puzzle of interest, and then click the "Download solution!" link at the bottom of the page.

Unfortunately, SokoSave Desktop can not import these solutions directly due to the fact that they are compressed via an extended run-length-encoding (RLE) scheme. This is one of the many feature enhancements I would like to see added to a future version of SokoSave Desktop. (Curiously, years ago, SokoSave did support RLE encoding, but the feature was removed because no other Sokoban programs did so, which, at the time, made SokoSave solutions less portable.)

Nevertheless, though tedious, the solutions are not difficult to decode by hand. They are composed of the letters 'l', 'u', 'r', 'd' for left, up, right, and down, indicating in which direction the "pusher" moves at each step. With RLE encoding, a number is prepended to a movement letter to indicate a repeat. For instance, to indicate four upward moves, "4u" appears in the solution rather than "uuuu". Further, in the extended RLE scheme, groups of moves surrounded by parentheses can also be repeated. For instance, "dr4d2(ldr3u)ld7l" means "drddddldruuuldruuuldlllllll".

If you happen to use Windows, then you might want to try Sokoban YASC which is able to import these solutions via simple copy/paste. First, copy the solution text from the web page. Next, launch YASC and load the desired puzzle. Pasting (ctrl+v) the solution into YASC creates a "snapshot" which you can then open from the snapshot dialog by double-clicking on the snapshot. Once opened, use the normal "replay" or "redo" controls to view the solution in action.
Olivier Drolet Olivier Drolet

Re: Sokoban Solutions

Thanks for the links.

I tried the second, and downloaded the solution to problem no.1 of the first 90 classic. This is exactly the score I found and have been trying for years to equal. I have found a solution in 97 pushes and 238 moves. The top solution has 230 moves!. The solution is

u3l3ululldll3d11rurd12lulld13rdrrlu7l3ulull3duull3d11rurrld7l3ullul3duull3d11rdru7l3ull3urdduull5duull3d13r8l3ullul3duull3d12rlur

When I try to follow this, I find the sequence breaks down after the following first moves: u3l3ululldll3d11rurd12lu

The following move in this solution (i.e. l...) is, AFAIKT, impossible. Can you confirm this?
sunshine sunshine

Re: Sokoban Solutions

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Drolet wrote
I tried the second, and downloaded the solution to problem no.1 of the first 90 classic. The top solution has 230 moves!When I try to follow this, I find the sequence breaks down after the following first moves: u3l3ululldll3d11rurd12lu The following move in this solution (i.e. l...) is, AFAIKT, impossible. Can you confirm this?
The solution seems to be fine. I was able to apply it manually well beyond the point you mention as failing. I did notice, however, that it is very easy to accidentally jump forward (or backward) in the solution text when attempting to apply it manually, thus botching play.

Consequently, in order to avoid such problems, I converted the solutions from http://ysokoban.atspace.com/xsokoban.html into actual SokoSave Desktop saved-game files which you can load easily into SokoSave via the "Game > Open" menu item. Download the saved-game files from http://www.high-speed-software.com/sokosave/download/SokoSaveDesktop-solutions.zip. There were a few exceptions where the modern XSokoban puzzles did not match up with the very old XSokoban puzzles shipped with SokoSave Desktop. See the README.txt file included with the saved-games download for details.

 I have found a solution in 97 pushes and 238 moves.
I am not sure how often the http://ysokoban.atspace.com/xsokoban.html database is updated, but you might want to submit your solution since it would be the third best for that puzzle. See http://ysokoban.atspace.com/solutionformat.html for submission instructions.

Eric
Olivier Drolet Olivier Drolet

Re: Sokoban Solutions

Thanks a lot. I got to see how player save a lot of moves when placing crates in their final destinations. Quite instructive. Many of our highest scores (yours, zarnuk's, and mine) are beaten badly, some are close, and some beat theirs by quite a bit.  :-)